Monday, February 8, 2010

Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww Down!!!

Something that can be a bit uncomfortable for the westerner on his or her first visit to Thailand is the pace of life. Compared to what we are used to, things are ungodly slow here. There are traffic jams at any hour of the day in Bangkok (except very late night-very early morning) and people walk like snails. This slowness extends to formal situations. If you are told to show up for a meeting at 9:00 a.m., expect the other party to show up at best five or ten minutes late.

If you are going for an interview, you should still be on time, just realize that your Thai counterpart probably will not be. However, don't be upset about the slowness, go with it. Don't be in such a hurry! I've been told to slow down bya Thai friend once. I asked as to why I should slow down and he replied that I look angry. I've heard this many times from different Thais. Walking fast makes us look angry. Now, everyone gets angry, but Thailand is a country in which the people mask their true emotions with a smile. Half the people you see on the street may be upset about something, but the general rule is not to advertise it.

I'm sure my stride is still faster than the average Thai, but it is much slower than when I first arrived. I have noticed that slowing down is more relaxing and that I get to where I'm going in not that much more time.

Also, don't try to hurry a Thai. Two things are going to happen. Either they won't help you at all, or most likely, you will be resented. Trust me, you do not want to be resented by the locals if you are trying to stay in a place. Impatience is a big no-no in Thailand. You need to be calm or as they say "jai-yen" (cool hearted).

No comments:

Post a Comment